You guys, I have a little confession to make. I really need to get this off my chest… I am kind of addicted to taking shots right after I wake up. It has become a part of my daily routine. I mean hey, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere right? Before you go signing me up for the show Intervention, let me clarify. These are alcohol-free shots…I’m talking about mega nutrient packed shots! These bad boys (or I guess I should call them ‘good guys’) will put a pep in your step, and provide you with a potent punch of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory mojo.
If you are feeling run-down, a cold coming on, or just want a boost of energy, try taking one of these shots and you’ll be walking on sunshine!
Here are my 3 favorite shots:
- 2-inch piece of Ginger, juiced
- 1/4 Lemon, juiced
- 1-Inch turmeric juiced, or 1 tsp. ground Turmeric
-Ginger- Ginger contains potent anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols, which diminish pain, fight cancer, and boost immune function. Historically, ginger has long been known to diminish GI distress and is also packed with antioxidants.
-Lemon- This provides a concentrated dose of Vitamin C and boosts your immune system. Lemons act as a natural diuretic and detoxifier. They also aid in combating diseases and viruses.
-Turmeric- I could rant about the health benefits of turmeric forever. In short, the main compound found in turmeric, curcumin, is known to inhibit cancer cell growth. Other health benefits include potent anti-inflammatory, effective treatment for IBS, Rheumatoid Arthritis relief, help for Cystic Fibrosis sufferers, improves liver function, lowers cholesterol, promotes heart health, and prevents Alzheimer’s disease. Yeah.. awesome sauce!
2) Ginger-Green Apple-Cayenne
- 2-inch piece of ginger, juiced
- A big splash of green apple juice
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
-Green Apple- Rich in antioxidants, regulates blood sugar, promotes healthy teeth, and boosts energy.
-Cayenne- Increases metabolism, improves blood circulation, promotes heart health, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and fights cancer.
And last but certainly not least:
- Wheatgrass, juiced (enough to fill shot glass)
- I also like to add a splash of coconut water from time to time.
Health benefits of Wheatgrass:
- The most notable feature of the wheatgrass is its extremely high content of chlorophyll, approximately 70%, making it a superfood which is energizing and alkalizing.
- It is a complete food and an outstanding source of vitamin C, E, K and B complex (even B12). It is also rich in calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, cobalt, germanium,, potassium, protein, and zinc.
- Contains a wide variety of amino acids (about 17 types) as well as a plethora of enzymes
- Boosts energy and mood
- Reduces stress
- Boosts immunity
- Promotes hair health
- Purifies the blood
- Fights diseases, viruses, and cancers
- Improves skin complexion
- Regulates blood pressure
These are nutritional powerhouse shots which also have a potent flavor, just a heads up.
The added bonus of these shots: Hangover not included