We’re all very familiar with the term Go Green…but how many of us are familiar with ingesting GREENS?
If you want a mega boost of nutrition, then a green smoothie is just what you need! Even substituting one of these for your breakfast can go a long way for your health! I know what you’re thinking, how can something that looks like that taste good?? Well trust me, it’s just like drinking a fruit smoothie! And hey…you can’t judge a book by its cover now can you.
My favorite combination is using A LOT of spinach and kale along with a banana, frozen strawberries and blueberries and a little bit of filtered water and ice (all organic of course)
Reasons to GO GREEN…SMOOTHIES:
- NUTRIENT DENSE. Dark green leafy vegetables are nutritional powerhouses. One serving typically has more Vitamin K, C, and A than we need in an entire day. They also have high amounts of phytonutrients and antioxidant properties which prevent cancer, disease, aging, etc. And let’s just say that for the amount of fruits and vegetables you can put into ONE smoothie…well, you’d be eating that same amount of fruits and vegetables for a long time!
- OPTIMAL ABSORPTION OF NUTRIENTS. For optimal absorption of the nutrients in leafy greens their cell walls must be broken down. According to Victoria Boutenko, a pioneer in the green smoothie movement, in order to rupture the cell walls of dark leafy greens we literally have to chew them into a creamy consistency before we swallow….Is that even possible?? I think I will stick with the high tech blender! So that’s optimal absorption of nutrients going directly into our cells!
- GREAT SOURCE OF FIBER. Fiber is an essential part of our diet and what’s a better way than getting it from fresh leafy greens? This is key for our digestive tract!
- YUM FACTOR. I know many of you do not believe me when i say these things taste great but if I can make these for kids and they love them…then you should too! We all know that kids hate their veggies! (like in this commercial. Check out the dirty socks kid! LOVE HIM All you have to do is add in your favorite tasting fruits..and that’s what it will taste like!!
- QUICK AND EASY. They only take 5 minutes to make..max!
- THEY FILL YOU UP! That’s right, drink one of these for breakfast and you won’t be hungry until lunch!
So think about the amount of fruits and vegetables you typically get in a day. Now think of how much you can add to that just by drinking ONE smoothie or perhaps several in a day! ( I like to make them as a snack too or even a meal replacement!)