Are you eating REAL FOOD or does your lifestyle consist of all the fake food that bombards our lives on a daily basis?
The more you can switch to a lifestyle of REAL FOOD, the more you will be doing yourself and your health a great service!
Today I got to thinking of a scenario. Imagine you are sitting in an experimental laboratory where you are observing the head scientist. You watch him as he adds substance after substance to a large bowl. You recognize a few of the names on their respective containers: water, baking soda, blue food coloring, glycerides. What is this guy making? Silly Putty? Playdough??
He continues to grab some liquid vials/tubes of sodium aluminum phosphate, bleached flour, artificial flavors, Propylene glycol, Hydrogenated oils, Butylated hydroxyanisole, Sorbitol, Monosodium glutamate, and so on. Next thing you know, up pops something that looks like a blueberry muffin! He tells you to eat it. How do you react? You just saw him put all of these random chemicals you’ve never heard of before into this “blueberry muffin.” Do you, without question, take the “muffin” and scarf it down? Or are you hesitant that this muffin is even edible? If I had to guess you would probably stop and say “Wait a minute, I’m not going to eat that…I don’t even know what that is!” And you’d be right…that‘s not REAL food! So why is it that we do not think twice about eating packaged and processed foods in our daily lives? This exact same “laboratory” process is going on, we just refuse to acknowledge it.
What exactly do I mean by EAT REAL FOOD? Follow these tips and you’ll be well on your way!
- Eat primarily plant-based. (Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, beans in their whole, NATURAL forms-not the canned, processed ones)
- Eat moderate amounts of WHOLE GRAINS (brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, barley, buckwheat, millet, etc)
- Eat nutrient-dense foods.
- Eliminate processed/packaged foods.
- Incorporate healthy fats like unrefined Coconut oil, EVOO, Avocados, nuts, etc..
- AVOID meats, especially processed meats. (If you can’t say “bye bye” to meats, at least say “see ya later” and significantly reduce your intake until you can completely eliminate them)
- Eliminate dairy products.
- Drink LOTS of water and fresh fruit/vegetable juices (not the Tropicana from the store)
- Buy local as much as possible.
- Prepare your own meals as much as possible instead of eating out.
The food companies try to trick us into buying their product by offering a “healthier” option. Baked Cheetos instead of fried, Sugar-free ice cream, Fortified Froot-Loops, and Reduced fat Wheat Thins. While these options might seem healthy, they are PROCESSED foods and chemical-filled. When they take one thing out, like fat or sugar, they have to put something back in (ever wonder what that something is?)! These products are doing much more harm to your health than good.
But the reality of the situation is that the healthier option to pizza is not a Lean Cuisine pizza, it’s spinach! The alternative for ice cream is not frozen yogurt, it’s an apple. The substitute for a cheeseburger is not a turkey burger, it’s just LESS burger. 🙂
You can do it! EAT REAL FOOD and feel like a REAL winner!