CHLORELLA AND SPIRULINA…my two favorite superfoods!
Some of you may be asking yourself, “What in the world is that?”
Well, Chlorella and Spirulina are fresh water algae and are packed with vitamins and minerals. They are both considered superfoods, meaning they have a wide array of health benefits reaching far beyond their nutrient value. These algae are two of the oldest foods in the world. Fossil records show that Spirulina and Chlorella have existed for billions of years essentially unchanged, surviving harsh conditions such as radiation, drought, and man-made poisons.
So, Why should you add Spirulina and Chlorella into your daily routine? Here goes nothing…(the healing properties are endless)
- DETOXIFY! DETOXIFY! In the toxic world we live in, toxin removal is a must! And these two algae have the astounding ability to detoxify heavy metals from our bodies.
- 12 times more digestible protein than beef
- More calcium than milk
- Nutritional value compared to 5-6 vegetable servings
- Promotes healthy cell growth and repair
- Contains anti-cancer phytochemicals/antioxidants (30 times more than blueberries)
- Anti-bacterial/Anti-viral agents
- Highest sources of chlorophyll (10 times that of green vegetables)
- Rich in Vitamins B, C, E, A, beta carotene, zinc, iron, lutein, magnesium etc..
- Boosts Immune function
- Increases energy
- Increases intensity of workouts/enhances exercise performance
- Regulates blood sugar (new research for type 2 diabetics and hypoglycemics)
- Contains all B vitamins
- Best source of vegan Vitamin B12
- Stimulates growth of friendly bacteria aka improves digestion
- Rich sources of Gamma-Linolenic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid
- Natural anti-inflammatory
- Reduces body acidity
- Increases mental capacity
- Powerful blood cleanser
- Can lower blood pressure and cholesterol
- Improves allergy symptoms
- Reduces cravings
- Aids in weight loss
Convinced? There is more and more research on the healing benefits of these algae emerging daily. While some people choose to take one over the other, I take both daily to ensure optimal nutrition.
Both Spirulina and Chlorella come in powder and pill form. The powder form is great to add into green smoothies and juices (1 tsp per smoothie). I’m not gonna lie, the taste of the powdered form is quite pungent and off-putting at first. I opted to go for the pill form due to taste and convenience. Be sure to get a high quality supplement brand, as many of them on the market are not. I love taking these, and can always note a difference in my energy level if I go a day without them. Always consult with your physician before adding supplements to your diet.
Incorporate these two algae into your daily routine and you’ll be a SUPER HUMAN!