I don’t know about you guys, but cauliflower has never been on the top of my list of favorite veggies. But with this recipe, you will be wanting MORE of this cruciferous vegetable! Cauliflower is packed with Vitamin C as well as Manganese, providing you with a boost of antioxidants. Cauliflower is also known for its detoxifying and anti-inflammatory properties, plus it’s high in fiber. This recipe is a great low-cal, low-carb alternative to your typical mashed potato recipe and my guess is, no one will know that you made these with cauliflower instead of potatoes!
What you need:
1 head fresh cauliflower
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup water
1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Sea salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons corn starch (or other thickening agent) mixed with 2 Tbs water
What to do:
1) Clean and cut fresh cauliflower into pieces. Boil for approximately 10 minutes (or until tender). Put into a colander and drain.
2) While cauliflower is cooking, combine almond milk, garlic, water, and seasonings, in small saucepan over medium heat. When it reaches a boil, add the cornstarch/water mixture, stirring constantly until thickened. Set aside for next step.
3) Next, put the cauliflower into a food processor or blender and blend on high. Add the sauce from step 2. Process/blend until the cauliflower is creamy and smooth.
4) Check the consistency. If it is too thick, add a tiny bit of almond milk, and check again. Too much liquid and you will end up with soup!
5) Add vegan cheese, chives, or toppings of your choice. This is the vegan version but if you’re not down with the veganism thing and you want to add a little bit of cheddar cheese, etc.. go for it (Just try not to load them with butter, bacon, and too much cheese-kinda defeats the purpose 🙂 ). Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.