Pizza has always been one of my weaknesses, thus I am constantly trying to find ways to make it more healthy! I don’t know about you guys, but I always feel pretty yucky after eating all those carbs from the crust! This pizza crust recipe is low-carb and gluten free! I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of this! Now if only I could substitute the cheese for something else….
CAULIFLOWER-CRUST PIZZA RECIPE:
- 1/2 head cauliflower (about 2 cups riced)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
- Prep a cookie sheet or pizza stone. You can grease the cookie sheet or use parchment paper. I would highly recommend using a pizza stone or parchment paper as it tends to stick to pans.
- Remove the stems and leaves from your cauliflower and chop the florets into chunks. Add to a food processor or blender and pulse just until the texture is similar to rice. If you don’t have a food processor, you can grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater or chop it.
- Sauté cauliflower “rice” in a non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook until translucent, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- In a bowl combine the cooked cauliflower with all remaining ingredients.
- Spread dough out evenly over parchment paper (or stone) – about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch thick. The pizza should be about 9-10 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden, crispy on the edges and cooked through the middle.
- Remove the crust from the oven.
- Top with pizza sauce and toppings. Be careful not to add too many heavy toppings as you don’t want to weigh down the crust.
- Broil the pizza for 5 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted. Allow the pizza to cool for 2-3 minutes then cut and serve immediately.
Hope you enjoy!