Fried okra is a staple here in the south. But unfortunately, it comes along with a lot of fat and calories. So, I’ve come up with a healthy spin on this southern staple that everyone will love.
What you need:
-Fresh, Organic Okra
-Organic Ground Flaxseed or Organic Flaxseed Meal
What to do:
-Thoroughly wash okra
-Trim the edges and cut into about half inch pieces
-Put about 1 1/2 to 2 cups flaxseed meal in a large plastic bag.
-Toss in okra, close bag, and shake until okra is covered in flaxseed meal.
-Spread okra out evenly in a baking pan or pyrex dish.
–Lightly spray with extra virgin olive oil. You can also add some spices if you’d like. (In my opinion, adding some of your favorite spices is a must)
-Bake for about 40 minutes on 350 or until nice and crispy. (I like to broil mine for a minute or two at the end to make it extra crispy)
Nutritional Info for 1 cup of okra:
- Fiber – 2.5 grams. 10% of RDA. Vitamin C – 16.3 mg. 27% RDA. Folate – 46 mcg. 11% RDA. Vitamin A – 283 IU. 6% RDA. Vitamin K – 40 mcg. 50% RDA. Niacin (Vitamin B3) – 0.9 mg. 4% RDA. Thiamin (Vitamin B1) – 0.1 mg. 9% RDA. Vitamin B6 – 0.2 mg. 9% RDA. Magnesium – 36 mg. 9% RDA. Manganese – 0.3 mg. 15% RDA. Beta carotene – 225 mcg. Lutein, Zeaxanthin – 516 mcg.
- *The ground flaxseed in this recipe will also give you a boost of Omega 3s and a wide array of vitamins and minerals.
Okra Health Benefits:
- Preventing diabetes
- Promoting colon health
- Improving digestive health
- Weight management
- Supporting a healthy pregnancy
- Healthy skin
- Protecting against free radical damage
- Asthma relief
- Improving eye health
- Boosting mood