One of my favorite things about summer is FRESH CHERRIES! They are such a delicious and nutritious snack!
Here are some fun facts about cherries:
- A recent study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition revealed that tart cherries ranked 14 in the top 50 foods for highest antioxidant content per serving size—surpassing red wine, prunes, dark chocolate and orange juice. Thus cherry consumption can help fight cancers and chronic diseases.
- Cherries have 19 times more beta carotene than blueberries and strawberries.
- They are also high in Vitamin C and Vitamin E. They also contain potassium, magnesium, folate, iron, and fiber.
- Scientific studies have shown that anthocyanins in the cherries act like anti-inflammatory agents by blocking the actions of cyclooxygenase-1, and 2 enzymes. Thus, eating cherries has potential health benefits against chronic painful episodes such as gout arthritis, fibromyalgia, and sports injuries.
- Cherries are very rich in melatonin. Melatonin can cross the blood-brain barrier easily and triggers soothing effects on the brain, calming down nervous system irritability, which helps relieve neurosis, insomnia and headache conditions.
- Cherries were brought to America by settlers in the 1600s